Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"former things have passed away" Revelation 21:4 WELCOME 2011!!



Happy New Year!

Last week after Christmas was over, I packed a bag and boarded a Shinkansen train for Tokyo to celebrate New Years! I met up with Andy, Steven and Spencer, fellow YASCers who are also serving the church in this part of Asia. Steven's friend Sophia also joined us for the weekend. It was so wonderful to be there with them. We talked for hours about our experiences, joys and challenges. We went sightseeing and saw much of the amazing city of Tokyo. We celebrated midnight on New Years Day with a few thousands of our closest friends in Shibuya square. We waited in line for 51 minutes to visit a Shinto shrine for the New Year. We cooked together and ate nabe together. We met interesting backpackers in our hostel and (almost) beat them at card games. We planned (boy did we plan!) exciting adventures around Tokyo. Most importantly, we relaxed and mentally prepared for the next part of our years of service. New Years, while not chronologically half way, has always in my mind been the turning point of my year. I have now been here 5 months and soon my time in Nagoya will be half over. I am so blessed to have had this time to celebrate with my friends all we've accomplished so far and look forward to the months ahead!

Enjoy these pictures of Tokyo!  And yes, I am aware that the time stamp is wrong on my camera.  I've fixed the problem but these pictures are past repair.
Happy New Year!!
I took the 10:10 Nozomi 6 train




The Imperial Palace Garden and Moat

Harajyuku


Window Shopping in Shinjuku!

Just before midnight in Shibuya Square


New Years Day at Meji Shrine


YASCers at Meji Shrine

at Tokyo Station

Pretty lanterns at Senso-ji Temple

Crowded market place

1 comment:

  1. Your time is Tokyo sounds like Team Africa's time in Cape Town: sharing stories (joys and challenges) and sightseeing and adventuring in general :-) I love your pictures and I'm glad you all had fun!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete