Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Though the mountains fall, Though the earth should shake, Though the seas should roar with all the heartache"

"Though the mountains fall,
Though the earth should shake,
Though the seas should roar with all the heartache
Though our hearts should pound,
Though our throats be dry,
We will lift Your Name on high"

-"To Every Generation" Bill Batstone


When I woke up on Friday morning, my only concern was making sure I got to work on time.  Like the rest of the world I had no idea that the country that I've called home for the past 7 months would be in the midst of a natural disaster and devastating tragedy. 

Nagoya, the city where I live is safe.  Saturday afternoon the tsunami warning for Nagoya was lifted and there have been no problems with electricity, water or Internet.  Internet was slow on Friday night and cell phone calls haven't always gone through the first try. 

We could feel the earthquake in Nagoya, but believe it or not, I completely missed it.  I was walking to the train station after work and only found out about everything when a friend called to tell me about it.  Of course at that point we had no idea how bad it was. 

Once I got back to my apartment I turned on the news and then spent my evening watching the news and contacting my friends and family back home.

Please keep Japan in your prayers as events continue to unfold.  I went for a walk on Saturday afternoon.  There were far less people out and about than usual and the mood was a very quiet and somber one.  It is clear that everyone is concerned for their family, friends and their country. 

I will continue to post new information when I have it and about what it's been like here the past week as I continue to process everything.

I've been praying with this psalm the last few days.  It's been comforting to me while anxiety levels are high around my community here:

Psalm 62 or Psalm 62:6-14 Page 669, BCP
1 For God alone my soul in silence waits; *
from him comes my salvation.
2He alone is my rock and my salvation, *
my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
3How long will you assail me to crush me,
all of you together, *
as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
4They seek only to bring me down from my place of honor;
lies are their chief delight.
5They bless with their lips, *
but in their hearts they curse.
6For God alone my soul in silence waits; *
truly, my hope is in him.
7He alone is my rock and my salvation, *
my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
8In God is my safety and my honor; *
God is my strong rock and my refuge.
9Put your trust in him always, O people, *
pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
10Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath, *
even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
11On the scales they are lighter than a breath, *
all of them together.
12Put no trust in extortion;
in robbery take no empty pride; *
though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
13God has spoken once, twice have I heard it, *
that power belongs to God.
14Steadfast love is yours, O Lord, *
for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Peace,
Christen

2 comments:

  1. Cn. Shirley M. WattsMarch 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM

    Christen, It is good to hear that you are safe. I am a retired Episcopal missionary, who had the opportunity to visit Japan a few years ago. I have fond memories of the people and the country. My heart goes out to all impacted by the earthquake/tsunami, and all are in my daily prayers. God's Blessings be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christen, I am so glad you're safe (I already knew this because I checked on Facebook right after I heard about the disaster) but my heart aches for all those whose lives were lost or impacted.

    ReplyDelete