Friday, September 3, 2010

"And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age".

Dear Friends,
I got an email this week with my final fundraising amounts.  Not only did I meet my goal of $10,000, but I am overwhelmed with the amount of financial support, prayers, encouragements and well wishes that I received to get me to Japan.  Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. 

As of yesterday, I have been in Japan for 1 month.  It's been an incredibly wonderful month of getting settled it, working at summer camps, training, observing English classes, exploring, travelling and frantically trying to learn Japanese!  This week starts the beginning of my "job" here and I am excited to "get my hands dirty" so to speak.  My job while I'm here will be three-fold.  I'll be teaching two English classes and helping out with a third class.  I'll be a presence once or twice a week at a day program for homeless men and women.  I'll also be helping out two or three times a week with a preschool class that meets at the center.  I am largely excited and a little bit nervous to finally begin! 

A large part of my work here falls outside of my actual job description as well.  My missionary work largely involves me being an international presence, mission partner with the Nippon Sei Ko Kai Diocese of Chubu and a representative of the Episcopal Church in America and more specifically, the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts.  I ask for your continued prayers that I may fulfill this part of my mission as successfully as possible!

Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this incredible journey so far!  Blessings and Peace be with you.
Love,
Christen

Up Next:  Okinawa Part II

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching your $10,000 goal! God certainly wants you in Japan!! Good luck as you begin your official job and remember all those who support you from afar and hold you in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! You always give the best encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you, Christen! It has been a joy to watch you learn and grow (via Skype and blog, of course :P) and I can't wait to hear/see what is next for you!

    ReplyDelete