Monday, September 13, 2010

"For God all things are possible" Mark 10:27

Okinawa Part 2:

1,000 Paper Cranes

One of the first things that I noticed about Okinawa was that there were not as many Americans there as I had thought there would be. With all the facts that I had been reading the past week for example: 75% of the 90 U.S. Military facilities in Japan are located in Okinawa (source: closethebase.org). I was expecting the Island to be filled with Americans.
An U.S. base in Naha. 

However, I didn’t see or overhear anyone who was obviously and American until the second day while we were at the aquarium. Looking back I guess this makes sense, they are all at work on the bases, but for first impressions, I was a little surprised.

Nevertheless, the problem of the bases is clear. In Naha there have been two widely publicized incidents of planes crashing into schools. More recently, on August 4th, 2004 a helicopter crashed into Okinawa International University administrative building where miraculously no one was hurt. However, in 1959 a jet crashed into the Miyamori Elementary School killing 17 students and neighbors and injuring another 210 people.
Memorial at the Okinawa International University. 
This is a tree that was burned in the Helicopter crash.  There is a fountain that surrounds it now.

A memorial at the Miyamori Elementary School for the 1959 crash.

Also, the proposed site for the new air strip isn’t a perfect choice either. Many claim that building the proposed Heneko air base would be detrimental to the Dugong, a marine mammal similar to the Manatee that is on both the Japanese and American endangered species lists.
Flags in protest of the proposed U.S. Air Base.

The bases by nature are loud and the take up land. Also, if they are located in a city like many of them in Naha are, there are dangers with taking off and landing so close to buildings.

As I learned about the situation that weekend in Okinawa, I kept feeling like I was missing something. I couldn’t put a finger on it until the last day and the only question I could think to ask was: Why Okinawa? Japan is allowing the US air bases to be there, and if all sides agree that the bases are not as safe as they could be, why do the US troops have to be in Okinawa? Couldn’t they move somewhere else? Somewhere safer? I felt like the answer should be simple, but as I kept asking, I got different answers: Money, Politics, Security.

Maybe it was a language problem that just wasn’t getting translated right or maybe it was a problem in my understanding of the issue, but I continue to feel as if a large essential piece of the puzzle is missing.

Naha
I am still reading about, learning about and asking questions about the history of the U.S. in Okinawa. As much as I would like to have one, I don’t have any conclusive opinions on the issue. Maybe someday the pieces might all click into place.
Names of those who died in the Battle of Okinawa
Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum

What I do know is this, while I was in Okinawa and surrounded by all the memorials and evidence of a battle that was truly tragic on all sides, the American in me was impressed with people on both sides of the issue. Not only was I proud of the men and women who were serving their country far away from their home, I was also inspired by the men and women who were fighting to protect their cities, the safety of their communities and to have their voices heard over the influence of money and politics. I never once felt like I, as an American, was being blamed for the problem of the bases and all of our Okinawan hosts were gracious and very willing to share about the life of their community.
Monument at the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum

I still don’t know if a solution in Okinawa will be solved simply or soon, but I pray that people on all sides of the issue will continue to respect each other and continue to work towards a peaceful solution that promotes the safety and dignity of everyone involved.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Christen! It's funny... I don't know if you feel this way, but I feel like I always knew that the US was insulated from the rest of the world's news to a degree... but I didn't realize how thick the bubble was until I actually got outside of it. You know? Anyway, hope Japan's still treating you will. I have a story for you, too :-) I'll message you... Peace, Ann

    ReplyDelete